[petsc-users] Question about DMDAGetElements

Sajid Ali sajidsyed2021 at u.northwestern.edu
Mon Nov 19 15:43:33 CST 2018

So, DMDA is used for sparse matrices arising from FD/FE and MatCreateMPIAIJ
can be used for dense matrices (though it is strongly discouraged).

My confusion stemmed from DMDAGetElements giving the element indices for
the 1D mesh/vector of size N(when the DMDACreate1d is used). But these
indices were then used as local indices to set the values for a 2D matrix
(via MatSetValuesLocal ) created using the same DM (now we have NxN
elements).