[petsc-users] petsc4py help with parallel execution

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 07:39:30 CST 2018

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 8:07 AM Ivan Voznyuk <ivan.voznyuk.work at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Matthew,
> Thanks for your reply!
>
> Let me precise what I mean by defining few questions:
>
> 1. In order to obtain a parallel execution of simple_code.py, do I need to
> go with mpiexec python3 simple_code.py, or I can just launch python3
> simple_code.py?

mpiexec -n 2 python3 simple_code.py

> 2. This simple_code.py consists of 2 parts: a) preparation of matrix b)
> solving the system of linear equations with PETSc. If I launch mpirun (or
> mpiexec) -np 8 python3 simple_code.py, I suppose that I will basically
> obtain 8 matrices and 8 systems to solve. However, I need to prepare only
> one matrix, but launch this code in parallel on 8 processors.

When you create the Mat object, you give it a communicator (here
PETSC_COMM_WORLD). That allows us to distribute the data. This is all
covered extensively in the manual and the online tutorials, as well as the
example code.

> In fact, here attached you will find a similar code (scipy_code.py) with
> only one difference: the system of linear equations is solved with scipy.
> So when I solve it, I can clearly see that the solution is obtained in a
> parallel way. However, I do not use the command mpirun (or mpiexec). I just
> go with python3 scipy_code.py.

Why do you think its running in parallel?