[petsc-users] petsc4py help with parallel execution

Ivan Voznyuk ivan.voznyuk.work at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 03:52:37 CST 2018

Dear PETSC community,

I have a question regarding the parallel execution of petsc4py.

I have a simple code (here attached simple_code.py) which solves a system
of linear equations Ax=b using petsc4py. To execute it, I use the command
python3 simple_code.py which yields a sequential performance. With a
colleague of my, we launched this code on his computer, and this time the
execution was in parallel. Although, he used the same command python3
simple_code.py (without mpirun, neither mpiexec).

My configuration: Ubuntu x86_64 Ubuntu 16.04, Intel Core i7, PETSc 3.10.2,
PETSC_ARCH=arch-linux2-c-debug, petsc4py 3.10.0 in virtualenv

In order to parallelize it, I have already tried:
- use 2 different PCs
- use Ubuntu 16.04, 18.04
- use different architectures (arch-linux2-c-debug, linux-gnu-c-debug, etc)
- ofc use different configurations (my present config can be found in
make.log that I attached here)
- mpi from mpich, openmpi

Nothing worked.

Do you have any ideas?