[petsc-users] [SLEPc] Krylov-Schur convergence

Ale Foggia amfoggia at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 06:47:13 CST 2018

Thanks Jose for the answer. I tried it an it worked! I send the output of
-eps_view again, just in case:

EPS Object: 1024 MPI processes
  type: krylovschur
    50% of basis vectors kept after restart
    using the locking variant
  problem type: non-symmetric eigenvalue problem
  selected portion of the spectrum: smallest real parts
  number of eigenvalues (nev): 1
  number of column vectors (ncv): 16
  maximum dimension of projected problem (mpd): 16
  maximum number of iterations: 291700777
  tolerance: 1e-09
  convergence test: relative to the eigenvalue
BV Object: 1024 MPI processes
  type: svec
  17 columns of global length 2333606220
  vector orthogonalization method: classical Gram-Schmidt
  orthogonalization refinement: if needed (eta: 0.7071)
  block orthogonalization method: GS
  doing matmult as a single matrix-matrix product
DS Object: 1024 MPI processes
  type: nhep
  parallel operation mode: REDUNDANT
ST Object: 1024 MPI processes
  type: shift
  shift: 0.
  number of matrices: 1

              k               ||Ax-kx||/||kx||
     -15.048025        1.85112e-10
     -15.047159        3.13104e-10

Iterations performed 18

Why does treating it as non-Hermitian help the convergence? Why doesn't
this happen with Lanczos? I'm lost :/

Ale