[petsc-users] need help with vector interpolation on nonuniform DMDA grids

Francesco Magaletti francesco_magaletti at fastwebnet.it
Tue Nov 6 08:45:58 CST 2018

Hi Matt,
thanks for the reply, but I didn’t catch exactly your point. What do you mean with “first bin the points into cells, and then use the
interpolant from the discretization” ? To me it sounds like my “naive” approach, but maybe I missed something in your suggestion.

My problem comes from the solution of a 1D time evolving pde coupled with a hand-made mesh adapting algorithm. Therefore I’m already using a DMDA to manage all the communication issues among processors. Every n timesteps I move the grid and then I need to evaluate the old solution on the new grid points, this is why I need an efficient way to do it. Is it feasible to let DMDA’s objects speak with DMPlexes, in order to keep the previous code structure unaltered and use DMPlex only for the interpolation routine?

Thanks