[petsc-users] Re-configuring PETSc

Zhang, Hong hongzhang at anl.gov
Tue May 29 22:01:13 CDT 2018

On May 29, 2018, at 3:05 AM, Najeeb Ahmad <nahmad16 at ku.edu.tr<mailto:nahmad16 at ku.edu.tr>> wrote:

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 9:32 PM, Smith, Barry F. <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov<mailto:bsmith at mcs.anl.gov>> wrote:

> On May 28, 2018, at 10:32 AM, Najeeb Ahmad <nahmad16 at ku.edu.tr<mailto:nahmad16 at ku.edu.tr>> wrote:
>
> Thanks a lot Satish for your prompt reply.
>
> I just checked that SuperLU_dist package works only for matrices of type aij. and uses lu preconditioner. I am currently working with baij matrix. What is the best preconditioner choice for baij matrices on parallel machines?

    The best preconditioner is always problem specific. Where does your problem come from? CFD? Structural mechanics? other apps?

        I am interested in writing solver for reservoir simulation employing FVM and unstructured grids. My main objective is to study performance of the code with different data structures/data layouts and architecture specific optimizations, specifically targeting the multicore architectures like KNL for instance. Later the study may be extended to include GPUs. The options for switching between AIJ and BAIJ etc. are therefore very useful for my study.

        The purpose why I wanted to change the preconditioner is that the default preconditioner is giving me different iterations count for different number of processesors. I would rather like a preconditioner that would give me same iteration count for any processor count so that I can better compare the performance results.

        Your suggestions in this regard are highly appreciated, specifically with reference to the following points:

         - Is it possible to explicitly use high bandwidth memory in PETSc for selected object placement (e.g. using memkind library for instance)?

Yes, see http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-3.8/src/sys/memory/mhbw.c.html

This was developed to use memkind to handle adjoint checkpointing where I want to use HBW memory for computation and DRAM for storing checkpoints. But it can be used for your purpose as well.

When configure PETSc, use "--with-memkind-dir=" to specify the location of the memkind library.
The runtime option "-malloc_hbw" will allow you to allocate all PETSc objects in HBW memory. If the HBW memory is ran out, it falls back to DRAM.

If you want to place selective objects in DRAM, you can do

PetscMallocSetDRAM()
...  allocate your objects ...
PetscMallocResetDRAM()

An example usage can be found at
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-dev/src/ts/trajectory/impls/memory/trajmemory.c

         - What would it take to take advantage of architecture specific compiler flags to achieve good performance on a given platform (e.g. -xMIC-AVX512 for AVX512 on KNL, #pragma SIMD etc.).

To build PETSc on KNL with AVX512 enabled, see the example scripts
config/examples/arch-linux-knl.py
config/examples/arch-cray-xc40-knl-opt.py

Note that the MatMult kernel (for AIJ and SELL) has been manually optimized for best performance.

Hong (Mr.)

       Sorry for some very basic questions as I am a novice PETSc user.

     Thanks for your time :)

     Anyways you probably want to make your code be able to switch between AIJ and BAIJ at run time since the different formats support somewhat different solvers. If your code alls MatSetFromOptions then you can switch via the command line option -mat_type aij or baij

   Barry