[petsc-users] SuperLU_dist bug with parallel symbolic factorisation

Keith Lindsay klindsay at ucar.edu
Tue May 22 15:03:14 CDT 2018

Hi,

I use SuperLU_dist, outside of PETSc, and use the parallel symbolic
factorization functionality. In my experience it is significantly faster
than the serial symbolic factorization. I don't have clean numbers on hand,
but my recollection is that going from serial to parallel reduced time
spent in the symbolic factorization by around an order of magnitude. Using
ParMETIS also significantly reduced the memory footprint of the symbolic
factorization.

I suspect that the impact of ParMETIS on performance depends on the
application. In my application, I was using a matrix with ~4.2e6 unknowns,
an average of 20 non-zeros per row, and running on 256 cores.

Keith