[petsc-users] Solving advection equations implicitly

Nishant Nangia nishantnangia329 at gmail.com
Mon May 7 17:15:19 CDT 2018

We basically want something that is stable and non-oscillatory for any
given time step size.

A little more context: Q is a fluid density variable, which we are
currently updating using an explicit forward Euler step. This updated
quantity is later used in a conservative discretization of the
Navier-Stokes (NS) equations on a staggered mesh. We are using finite
volume/finite differences.

We observe oscillations in Q after a few time steps, which causes the
overall mass of the domain to change and breaks the linear solvers for NS.
We are experimenting with some strong stability preserving, TVD schemes to
update this density, but were thinking of trying an implicit update instead.

*Nishant Nangia*
Northwestern University
Ph.D. Candidate | Engineering Sciences and Applied Mathematics
Tech L386