[petsc-users] dmplex confusion in refereeing to stratum values (are they height or depth)

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 07:14:59 CDT 2018

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 9:49 AM Hassan Raiesi <
Hassan.Raiesi at aero.bombardier.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I’m trying to understand the dmplex interface, and hope somebody could
> clarify what are the values of stratum used, i.e in DMLabel, and many other
> DMplex functions.
>
> Is it refereeing to the stratum height or the stratum depth by “value”, or
> none of them, for example in
>
> DMPlexSetLabelValue, the value refers to depth or height, same is for
> several other places,

DMLabel maps an integer to a set of mesh points. These values can be
anything. A stratum is the
set of points with the same value.

Some specific labels attach meaning to the values. For example, the depth
label inside a Plex marks
the depth of each mesh point, so that we can support

  DMPlexGetDepthStratum()
  DMPlexGetHeightStratum()

Thank you