[petsc-users] Solving reduced system of equations with global preconditioner

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 05:50:33 CDT 2018

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 6:46 PM, Adrián Amor <aamor at pa.uc3m.es> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I think this is a basic question that I am pretty sure that it can be done
> in PETSC but I don't know the way, so sorry for wasting your time if it's
> too basic!
>
> I have a big system of equations (say 1M of unknowns) which I divide into
> 25 blocks and I use a block-Jacobi preconditioner to get the solution from
> KSPBICG. However, I know that I can build a reduced matrix with the
> nonzeros of the big preconditioned matrix, solve this reduced problem, and
> then recover the solution for the original big system with the factorized
> matrices from block Jacobi. How can I do this with PETSC? Since using
> KSPComputeExplicitOperator and then copy blocks of this matrix to build the
> reduced surface problem in PETSC is definitely not an option.

Its a little hard to understand what algorithm you are describing. Do you
mean something like

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPIKE_algorithm

We do not have that. We can do additive/multiplicative iterations on these
blocks using PCFIELDSPLIT (however the block operations would be
serialized).
If you want something direct like this, have you tried just applying
SuperLU_dist or MUMPS?