[petsc-users] Changing the jacobian matrix during SNES iterations

David Knezevic david.knezevic at akselos.com
Wed Jul 18 12:31:34 CDT 2018

I'm using SNES for a finite element contact solve, in which the sparsity
pattern of the jacobian can change from one Newton iteration to the next
(since the nodes on the contact surface move).

In order to handle this I figured the best way would be to destroy the
jacobian matrix and re-allocate it with a new sparsity pattern inside each
call to FormJacobian, does that seem like a reasonable approach in this
context? Also, I recall from an earlier discussion that this matrix
re-allocation inside FormJacobian is supported by SNES, but I just wanted
to confirm that?

Also, I was wondering if there is any example where the matrix is
re-allocated inside SNES iterations so that I can make sure that I do it
correctly?

Best regards,
David