[petsc-users] multiply a mpibaij matrix by its block diagonal inverse

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Feb 13 17:27:08 CST 2018

 In general you probably don't want to do this. Most good preconditioners (like AMG) rely on the matrix having the "natural" scaling that arises from the discretization and doing a scaling like you describe destroys that natural scaling. You can use PCPBJACOBI to use point block Jacobi preconditioner on the matrix without needing to do the scaling up front. The ILU preconditioners for BAIJ matrices work directly with the block structure so again pre-scaling the matrix buys you nothing. PETSc doesn't have any particularly efficient routines for computing what you desire, the only way to get something truly efficient is to write the code directly using the BAIJ data structure, doable but probably not worth it.

  Barry