[petsc-users] Problems about Picard and NolinearGS

Yingjie Wu yjwu16 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 03:07:26 CST 2018

Thanks for your reply.
Smith, Barry F. <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> 于2018年12月27日周四 上午2:12写道:

>   If I understand correctly you able to provide the right hand side
> function but only the block diagonal part of the Jacobian (with one block
> per field). Is this correct?

Yes, it is.

>   When you use the block diagonal part of the Jacobian as the
> preconditioner for the matrix free application of the Jacobian you get very
> slow convergence of KSP?

Yes. When I use low order ILU(eg ILU2), KSP residual norm drop to a certain
level and will oscillate. The log is provided below.  The converged result
will also provided below(mpcpthpboutput).

>   And you are trying to use the block diagonal part of the Jacobian as the
> operator A(x) for the Picard iteration? This will not in general work
> because Picard requires an accurate application of the operator A(), using
> just the block diagonal part of A() doesn't even provide you with a
> consistent nonlinear system to solve.

So in my Picard program, I moved all the items that don't contain this
physical field variable to the right side(for temperature field, all items
that do not contain temperature ), which constitutes the right side b(x).

>   I think that your fundamental problem is that the block diagonal part of
> the Jacobian is simply a very poor approximation to the true Jacobian and
> hence any preconditioner built from it is a poor preconditioner. I think
> you need to bit the bullet and compute the full Jacobian including the
> terms that couple between the different fields, in this way you get a good
> approximation to the true Jacobian and can solve each KSP linear
> efficiently. How difficult would it be to compute these other terms in the
> Jacobian?

I my opinion, the difficulty in constructing my Jacobian matrix is complex
coefficient.(eg, thermal conductivity* λ* , density )
For example, in temperature equation(T):
                ∇(*λ*∇T) - ∇(ρ* Cp* u ) + Q =  0
*λ* is thermal conductivity , ρ* is density  Cp* is specific heat , u is
velocity, Q is source.
*λ = *1.9*(1.0e-3)*pow(T+273.0-150.0,1.29)            function of T
ρ=
(0.4814*P/1.0e3/(T+273.15))/(1.0+0.446*(1.0e-2)*P/1.0e3/(pow(T+273.15,1.2)))
function of T and P

In theory, the coefficient contain variable. So it is complicated to
calculate the element of Jacobian.
In my snes_mf_operator method, I treat λ,ρ as constant. In every nonlinear
step, I use the solution update the λ,ρ  and thus update the
preconditioning matrix. At each residual function call(in
SNESFormFunction), I also update the coefficient to ensure the correction
of the residual function.