[petsc-users] GAMG scaling

Fande Kong fdkong.jd at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 17:23:54 CST 2018

Hong,

Thanks for your improvements on PtAP that is critical for MG-type
algorithms.

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 10:17 AM Hong <hzhang at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Mark,
> Below is the copy of my email sent to you on Feb 27:
>
> I implemented scalable MatPtAP and did comparisons of three
> implementations using ex56.c on alcf cetus machine (this machine has
> small memory, 1GB/core):
> - nonscalable PtAP: use an array of length PN to do dense axpy
> - scalable PtAP:       do sparse axpy without use of PN array

What PN means here?

> - hypre PtAP.
>
> The results are attached. Summary:
> - nonscalable PtAP is 2x faster than scalable, 8x faster than hypre PtAP
> - scalable PtAP is 4x faster than hypre PtAP
> - hypre uses less memory (see job.ne399.n63.np1000.sh)

I was wondering how much more memory PETSc PtAP uses than hypre? I am
implementing an AMG algorithm based on PETSc right now, and it is working
well. But we find some a bottleneck with PtAP. For the same P and A, PETSc
PtAP fails to generate a coarse matrix due to out of memory, while hypre
still can generates the coarse matrix.

I do not want to just use the HYPRE one because we had to duplicate
matrices if I used HYPRE PtAP.

It would be nice if you guys already have done some compassions on these
implementations for the memory usage.

Fande,