[petsc-users] PETSc binary write format

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 12:50:05 CST 2018

On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 at 21:41, Sajid Ali via petsc-users <
petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> I've created the same file as per the format specified in this thread,
> i.e. VEC_FILE_CLASSID, num_elements followed by the elements in ieee-754
> 64-bit format.
>
> I've saved everything as 1's and 0's in a file as shown above. If it were
> indeed a binary file, doing a cat on it should output garbage as it did for
> the file above. But it instead interprets each 0 and 1 as an ascii
> character.

Did you take care of byteswapping? Rember that everything (the integer
class id, integer vec size, and 64bit ieee floating point values) written
in the file should be in big-endian format.

--
Lisandro Dalcin

4700 King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
al-Khawarizmi Bldg (Bldg 1), Office # 0109
Thuwal 23955-6900, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
http://www.kaust.edu.sa

Office Phone: +966 12 808-0459