[petsc-users] Use block Jacobi preconditioner with SNES

Ali Reza Khaz'ali arkhazali at cc.iut.ac.ir
Mon Aug 27 13:46:23 CDT 2018

> MATNEST is only a storage optimization after everything works right.
> It does
> not have to do with solving.
Thanks for the answer. I hoped that I could use block solvers suited for
MATNEST, which apparently work for a variable-sized block matrix. To the
extend of my knowledge, MatCreateBAIJ only accepts constant block sizes.

> Something is very wrong there. I advise you to also try SuperLU and MUMPS.
I will try to compile them on windows, and report the result here.

> Iterative methods depend sensitively on the equation, as opposed to direct
> solvers which almost do not care. The first step in designing an
> iterative solver
> that PETSc can implement is to find in the literature where one has
> worked for
> your problem.
What I'm trying to solve here, has never been studied before
(compositional fractured petroleum reservoir simulation+coupled phase
equilibrium formulation+diffusion mass transfer), therefore I can not
seek help from the literature.

Best wishes,
Ali