[petsc-users] Use block Jacobi preconditioner with SNES

Ali Reza Khaz'ali arkhazali at cc.iut.ac.ir
Sat Aug 25 13:30:14 CDT 2018

Dear Barry and Jed,

Thanks for your great suggestions. I set the options as Jed proposed and
it worked. However, Block Jacobi preconditioner treats the entire
Jacobian matrix as only one giant block. It is good in small systems,
but in larger ones, it requires a lot of memory and runtime, as direct
methods do.  In addition, I cannot use -pc_bjacobi_blocks option,
because the block sizes of the Jacobain matrix are variable (In my
sample code, SadeqSize array contain block sizes), and apparently
-pc_bjacobi_blocks option assumes the block sizes are equal.
I have to add an explanation about unusual high tolerances in my code
sample, in fact, I am facing a serious ill-conditioned problem. The
direct methods (like LU) solve the system without problem, but I could
not find any preconditioner+iterative solver that can solve it with the
required precision.  Since direct solvers are useless in large systems,
I had to design an specific preconditioner for it (I wrote a paper about
it: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10596-014-9421-3), but
the designed preconditioner was rather slow (even on GPU), and I hope
that I can find a faster solution in PETSc. So for now I am searching
for a combination that just works for me, and then, I'll refine it.

Best wishes,
Ali