[petsc-users] large number of iteration.

Josh L ysjosh.lo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 11:20:48 CDT 2018

Hi Mark,

The problem I am running is simply 2-D linear elasticity, and I use petsc's
ex49 of KSP to do benchmark.

I have solved the error by using MatZeroRowsColumns(diagonal =1.0) to apply
BC instead of MatZeroRows.
(My code is actually using newton's method to solve nonlinear problem(Now,
use it to run a linear elasticity problem), and the rhs entries for
Dirichlet BC is just zero, so either zerorowscolumns or zerorows gives the
same solution).

With GMRES and gamg, the 120K degrees of freedoms linear elasticity problem
converges in 7 iterations.
But with " -ksp_type chebyshev -ksp_chebyshev_esteig_noisy"  I still get
NAN residual that comes out of nowhere (it is not diverging. all of a
sudden NAN shows up)

* Is your matrix symmetric?

Yes, If I do matzerorowscolumns