[petsc-users] Finite difference Jacobian in TS context

Oleksandr Koshkarov olk548 at mail.usask.ca
Sun Apr 29 17:40:23 CDT 2018

Dear All,

sorry for spam because of my poor PETSc knowledge (I am just starting
with this nice framework).

I think, I figured part of it out. However, I want to point that
src/ts/examples/tutorials/ex15.c is misleading. (or maybe it is a bug?)

in this example we have

TSGetSNES(ts,&snes);
MatCreateSNESMF(snes,&Jmf);
SNESSetJacobian(snes,Jmf,J,SNESComputeJacobianDefault,NULL);

// or this: SNESSetJacobian(snes,Jmf,J,SNESComputeJacobianDefaultColor,0);

which implies (I think) that Jacobian would be matrix free. And if one
would use PCNONE for preconditioning the matrix would never be
allocated. However, it seems in reality it allocates matrix.

To avoid it, I used

MatCreateSNESMF(snes,&J);

SNESSetJacobian(snes,J,J,MatMFFDComputeJacobian,0);

which seems to work fine. I am not sure I fully understand the
difference and i have zero intuition and I also have no idea what
happens with preconditioning in this case. If someone have some useful
comets, please share :) (I read the relevant section in PETSc manual,
but still not fully understanding what I should use when)

Thank you and again sorry for the spam,
Oleksandr.