[petsc-users] Matrix and vector type selection & memory allocation for efficient matrix import?

Klaus Burkart k_burkart at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 20 12:30:54 CDT 2018

In my case N=M but n for process 0, 1, 2, 3,... no_processes-1 can be different from the nth process like in the example where the nth process=Proc2 and has only two rows while all other processes have three rows:

Example from the PETSc webpage mentioned before:
            1  2  0  |  0  3  0  |  0  4
    Proc0   0  5  6  |  7  0  0  |  8  0
            9  0 10  | 11  0  0  | 12  0
    -------------------------------------
           13  0 14  | 15 16 17  |  0  0
    Proc1   0 18  0  | 19 20 21  |  0  0
            0  0  0  | 22 23  0  | 24  0
    -------------------------------------
    Proc2  25 26 27  |  0  0 28  | 29  0
           30  0  0  | 31 32 33  |  0 34and I need to enter different values for d_nnz and o_nnz for each row somewhere too
     proc0: d_nnz = [2,2,2] and o_nnz = [2,2,2]
     proc1: d_nnz = [3,3,2] and o_nnz = [2,1,1]
     proc2: d_nnz = [1,1]   and o_nnz = [4,4]
I simply can't identify the function(s) used to set the values for n, d_nnz and o_nnz for the individual local matrices allocated to all the processes if n isn't the same for all processes and d_nnz and o_nnz are different for each local matrix?

Approach described on the PETSc webpage:
    MatCreate(...,&A);

    MatSetType(A,MATMPIAIJ);

    MatSetSizes(A, m,n,M,N); // for the example above using this function would set the no. of rows for Proc2 to 3 but it's 2

    MatMPIAIJSetPreallocation(A,...); // this function can be used to set values for ONE local matrix only

In addition to that I don't know which functions to use to preallocate memory for ALL local matrices when each of them has different values for d_nnz and o_nnz.

I other words, what's the code for the 3 process example above? (entering the matrix structure and allocating memory)

 Klaus

    Am Freitag, 20. April 2018, 17:13:26 MESZ hat Smith, Barry F. <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> Folgendes geschrieben:

  For square matrices almost always n is the same as m. On different processes m can be different. You get to decide what makes sense for each processes what its m should be.

  Barry