[petsc-users] Finding NullSpaces of Jacobian and TransposeJacobian

Ali Berk Kahraman aliberkkahraman at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 07:47:12 CDT 2018

Dear All,

I am trying to solve a Poisson problem with a known source function with
all Neumann BCs. Hence, I know that my problem does not always have a
solution, at those times it has a transpose nullspace of one vector. If
I know that vector, I can inform petsc of its existence using a
MatNullSpace object.

Currently, I am trying to find the nullspace vector by solving a linear
system where TrJacobian*nullvec = e, but an arbitrary row of the
TrJacobian (ith row) is replaced with all zeros except for the ith
column, and every entry of e is 0 except for the ith entry which is 1.
However, sometimes the KSP that solves this either does not converge, or
even if it converges the nullvec it creates does not help with the
original problem's ksp.

Is there a more reliable way to find the transpose nullspace of a matrix?

Best Regards,

Ali Berk Kahraman
M.Sc. Student, Mechanical Eng.
Bogazici Uni. Istanbul, Turkey