[petsc-users] Problems with DMDAVecGetArrayF90 + Intel

Randall Mackie rlmackie862 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 10:03:13 CDT 2018

Dear PETSc users,

I’m curious if anyone else experiences problems using DMDAVecGetArrayF90 in conjunction with Intel compilers?
We have had many problems (typically 11 SEGV segmentation violations) when PETSc is compiled in optimize mode (with various combinations of options).
These same codes run valgrind clean with gfortran, so I assume this is an Intel bug, but before we submit a bug report I wanted to see if anyone else had similar experiences?
We have basically gone back and replaced our calls to DMDAVecGetArrayF90 with calls to VecGetArrayF90 and pass those pointers into a “local” subroutine that works fine.

In case anyone is curious, the attached test code shows this behavior when PETSc is compiled with the following options:

./configure \
  --with-clean=1 \
  --with-debugging=0 \
  --with-fortran=1 \
  --with-64-bit-indices \
  --download-mpich=../mpich-3.3a2.tar.gz \
  --with-blas-lapack-dir=/opt/intel/mkl \
  --with-cc=icc \
  --with-fc=ifort \
  --with-cxx=icc \
  --FOPTFLAGS='-O2 -xSSSE3 -axcore-avx2' \
  --COPTFLAGS='-O2 -xSSSE3 -axcore-avx2' \
  --CXXOPTFLAGS='-O2 -xSSSE3 -axcore-avx2’ \

Thanks, Randy M.