[petsc-users] Hints for using petscfe for plasticity -- how to update/access internal variables?

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 10:33:28 CDT 2017

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 11:28 AM, Maximilian Hartig <
imilian.hartig at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20. Sep 2017, at 22:51, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 3:46 PM, Maximilian Hartig <imilian.hartig at gmail.
> com> wrote:
>

>> On 20. Sep 2017, at 19:05, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 12:57 PM, Maximilian Hartig <
>> imilian.hartig at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 20. Sep 2017, at 18:17, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It looks like there are two problems above:
>>>
>>> 1) Convergence
>>>
>>> For any convergence question, we at minimum need to see the output of
>>>
>>>   -snes_view -snes_converged_reason -snes_monitor
>>> -ksp_monitor_true_residual -snes_linesearch_monitor
>>>
>>> However, this does not seem to be the main issue.
>>>
>>> 2) Negative plastic strain
>>>

>>> This is what I’m mainly concerned with.
>>>

>>> If the system really converged (I cannot tell without other
>>> information), then the system formulation is wrong. Of course, its
>>> really easy to check by just plugging your solution into the residual
>>> function too. I do not understand your explanation above
>>> completely however. Do you solve for the plastic strain or the increment?
>>>

>>> I am trying to find a formulation that works and I think there is a core
>>> concept I am just not “getting”.
>>> I want to solve for the displacements.
>>> This works fine in an elastic case. When plasticity is involved, I need
>>> to determine the actual stress for my residual evaluation and I have not
>>> found a way to do that.
>>> All formulations for stress I found in literature use strain increments
>>> so I tried to just solve for increments each timestep and then add them
>>> together in tspoststep. But I still need to somehow evaluate the stress for
>>> my displacement increment residuals. So currently, I have auxiliary fields
>>> with the stress and the plastic strain.
>>>

>> First question: Don't you get stress by just applying a local operator,
>> rather than a solve?
>>
>> That depends on the type of plasticity.
>>

> What type of plasticity is not local?
>
> I did not express myself correctly. The plasticity is local, but for
> nonlinear hardening I would have to iteratively solve to get the correct
> stress and plastic strain from the displacement increments.

Okay, I see. Lets leave that for the time being.

>> For a linear hardening formulation it is correct that I could just apply
>> a local operator. I’d be happy with that for now. But I’d still need to
>> save stress state and plastic strain to determine whether or not I’m
>> dealing with a plasticity. I don’t know how to do that inside the residual
>> evaluation.
>>

> I do not know what you mean by this, meaning why you can't just save these
> as auxiliary fields. Also, it would seem to be enough to have the old
> displacement and the plastic strain.
>
> Yes, I can update the auxiliary fields but only after I solved for the
> displacements in my understanding. I still need the stress though as I have
> to determine whether I am in the plastic or the elastic domain.

 Right, but if the stress is local, then you can just compute it in the
kernel (this is what I do). Even if the relationship is implicit, you can
compute that solve local to the (Gauss) point.

> Plus DMProjectField seems to have problems evaluating the gradient when
>> boundary conditions are imposed.
>>

> There are several examples where we do exactly this. Can you show me what
> you mean by this?
>

> Yes, of course. I sent an example a week ago but maybe there was a problem
> with the attached files. I’ll copy and paste the code and the gmsh file as
> text below.

Okay, I got this. Can you tell me how to run it and why you think stuff is
wrong?

http://www.caam.rice.edu/~mk51/