[petsc-users] what is the restriction for PCMG, and how to control it?

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Mon Sep 18 20:17:21 CDT 2017

Ed Bueler <elbueler at alaska.edu> writes:

> Dear PETSc --
>
> This is most embarassing, but somehow I can't see it in the docs.
>
> Regarding defaults for DMDA and PCMG, for the fine-to-coarse restriction,
> does -pc_type mg use the adjoint of interpolation?   (I.e. "full
> weighting," at least up to a constant.)  Or is an injection used?

It's "full weighting" -- transpose of interpolation [*] which you can
select (for DMDA) using DMDASetInterpolationType.  Injection is terrible
for PCMG because it has order zero -- high frequency harmonics are
aliased at full amplitude onto the coarse grid (see Brandt's MG guide,
§4.3).  Injection can (and should, when relevant) be used for *state*
restriction in FAS because it is more accurate for low-frequency
components ("infinite secondary order") and aliasing is irrelevant in
that context.  So there isn't an "automatic" way to use injection in
PCMG, though I suppose it could be added for educational purposes.

[*] The scaling for restriction is managed by the "rscale" vector
returned by DMCreateInterpolation.