[petsc-users] Updating Fortran code to petsc 3.8

Randy Michael Churchill rchurchi at pppl.gov
Mon Oct 30 13:06:55 CDT 2017

>    Please clarify.
>
> 1) You can successfully update to 3.8 and compile and run the code?

I haven't updated all of the code to 3.8, I wanted to make sure there
wasn't any tricks to maintain backwards compatibility before I change
everything. I'm only in the process of changing several of the codebase's
files, updating any "Amat = 0" statements or "if (Amat==0) then"
statements, which do not compile with 3.8 (they need the specific
PETSC_NULL_XXX instead of 0). When I make those changes, that section of
the code compiles (btw, on NERSC Edison, with my own compiled petsc v3.8).

2) You do not have a way to support both 3.7 and 3.8 except by putting a
> large number of #ifdef in the code?

If I have to change "Amat = 0" to "Amat = PETSC_NULL_MAT" for 3.8, and
change all of the PETSC_NULL_OBJECT for 3.8, many of those PETSC_NULL_XXX
references are not included in v3.7, correct? If not, and I want to keep
backwards compatibility, everywhere there is a PETSC_NULL_OBJECT, I would
have to do:
#include <petscversion.h>
#if PETSC_VERSION_GE(3,8,0)
call MatNullSpaceCreate(comm, PETSC_TRUE, 0, PETSC_NULL_VEC, nullsp,ierr)
#else
call MatNullSpaceCreate(comm, PETSC_TRUE, 0, PETSC_NULL_OBJECT, nullsp,ierr)
#endif

If this is the only way to upgrade our codebase to use petsc v3.8, thats
fine, I just wanted to verify that there wasn't another way, which would be
cleaner (e.g. perhaps creating an include file with all of the
PETSC_NULL_XXX definitions which aren't in v3.7, and thus avoid many of
these #if PETSC_VERSION statements).

--
R. Michael Churchill