[petsc-users] setting ghost padding region

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Oct 29 17:30:52 CDT 2017

> On Oct 29, 2017, at 5:20 PM, Guido Giuntoli <giuntoli1991 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have a ghost vector "b" and I want to work with my local representation adding values in my local part and my ghost padding region. Is this possible or I have to use VecSetValues ?

   What do you really want to do?

 put values into the local and ghosted part and then add up all the ghosted parts into the local parts or

 put values into the local parts and then have the vector fill up the ghosted locations based on the local parts?

> VecGhostGetLocalForm( b , &b_loc );                                                                                        VecGetArray( b_loc, &b_arr );
> VecSetValues( b_loc, n , index, r_e, ADD_VALUES );
> VecRestoreArray( b_loc, &b_arr ); // this communicate something in the ghost padding region ?

No, restore array communicates nothing. And you don't mix VecGetArray()/RestoreArray() with VecSetValues(). You either call VecSetValues() and then VecAssemblyBegin/End() to put values into a vector OR you use VecGetArray() put the values into the array and then call VecRestoreArray()

> I tried to see the code of VecRestoreArray but does not seem to be communicating anything. I am seeing some routines and I think that adding
>
> VecGhostUpdateBegin(b, ADD_VALUES, SCATTER_REVERSE);
> VecGhostUpdateEnd(b, ADD_VALUES, SCATTER_REVERSE);
>
> can do what I want, i.e. adding the ghost padding regions on all the processes that correspond.Is this true ? Thank you, Guido.

   This will take the values you put into the ghost locations and add them up and put them into the appropriate global (non-ghost) locations.