[petsc-users] A number of questions about DMDA with SNES and Quasi-Newton methods

zakaryah . zakaryah at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 20:40:44 CDT 2017

Thanks Jed, that seems like it will work.

I still have a problem, which I suspect is pretty simple to solve.  To
initialize the solve, I need to run the SNES once without the control
parameter.  My composite DM is dac, the DMDA inside dac is dah, the
redundant field is dab, and I have the vectors set up for the solve and the
residual.  But I don't know how to setup the matrices for the Jacobian, in
the main loop, i.e. in the scope from which SNESSolve is called.  I think I
have the matrix set up properly for the composite, and the evaluation
routine for the composite system extracts the submatrices as we discussed.
But I'm not sure how to setup a global matrix for the first solve, which is
in a smaller space.  I've gotten a lot out of SNES ex28 but there the
smaller solve and the full solve never run in the same launch.  I guess I
can create two matrices for the Jacobians, one like DMCreateMatrix(dac,&J)
for the full system and DMCreateMatrix(dah,&J_hh) for the initial solve.
Is there a more efficient way - can I just create J and somehow extract the
global submatrix J_hh?