[petsc-users] Good performance For small problem on GALILEO

Luca Verzeroli l.verzeroli at studenti.unibg.it
Fri Oct 20 00:47:12 CDT 2017

Good morning,
For my thesis I'm dealing with GALILEO, one of the clusters owned by Cineca. http://www.hpc.cineca.it/hardware/galileo
The first question is: What is the best configuration to run petsc on this kind of cluster? My code is only a MPI program and I would like to know if it's better to use more nodes or more CPUs with mpirun.
This question comes from the speed up of my code using that cluster. I have a small problem. The global matrices are 600x600. Are they too small to see a speed up with more mpiprocess? I notice that a single core simulation and a multi cores one take a similar time (multi core a second more). The real problem comes when I have to run multiple simulation of the same code changing some parameters. So I would like to speed up the single simulation.
Any advices?

Luca Verzeroli