[petsc-users] Newton methods that converge all the time

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 06:10:35 CST 2017

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 6:05 AM, Buesing, Henrik <
hbuesing at eonerc.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> Dear Barry,
>
> I am using a pressure-enthalpy formulation, which is valid across all
> phase states, i.e. no variable switching. Nevertheless, I have
>
> 1) a truncate function defined with SNESLineSearchSetPreCheck, which keeps
> pressure and enthalpy values in physical bounds.

You should be able to replace this using

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/SNES/SNESVISetVariableBounds.html

and use the SNESVI solver.

> 2) I have if statements in my FormFunction and FormJacobian. These test
> the current enthalpy vs. saturated water and gas enthalpies and determine
> the state.

It sounds like the residual function you are using could be non-smooth
here. This could give you problems if the
solution is near the switch, however sometimes it will still converge but
linearly instead of quadratically.