[petsc-users] crash with PCASM in parallel

Daniel Stone daniel.stone at opengosim.com
Fri Nov 24 10:03:56 CST 2017

Hello,

I'm getting a memory exception crash every time I try to run the ASM
preconditioner in parallel, can anyone help?

I'm using a debugger so I can give most of the stack:

PCApply_ASM (asm.c:line 485)
  KSPSolve (itfunc.c:line 599)
    KSPSetUp (itfunc.c:line 379)
       PCSetUp (precon.c: 924)
          PCSetUp_ILU (ilu.c:line 162)
            MatDestroy  (matrix.c:line 1168)
              MatDestroy_MPIBAIJ_MatGetSubMatrices (baijov.c:line 609)

The problem line is then in  MatDestroy_MPIBAIJ_MatGetSubMatrices,
in the file baijov.c, line 609:

if (!submatj->id) {

At this point submatj has no value, address 0x0, and so the attempt to
access submatj->id
causes the memory error. We can see in the lines just above 609 where
submatj is supposed to
come from, it should basically be an attribute of C->data, where C is the
input matrix.

Does anyone have any ideas where to start with getting this to work? I can
provide a lot more information
from the debugger if need.

Many thanks in advance,

Daniel Stone