[petsc-users] Intel MKL

Randall Mackie rlmackie862 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 10:10:24 CST 2017

Dear PETSc team:

On upgrading to version 3.8, we have discovered an inconsistency in the python configuration scripts for using Intel MKL for BLAS/LAPACK.
It seems that these options were changed between 3.7 and 3.8:

Version 3.8:
--with-blaslapack-lib=libsunperf.a
--with-blas-lib=libblas.a --with-lapack-lib=liblapack.a
--with-blaslapack-dir=/soft/com/packages/intel/13/079/mkl

Version 3.7:
--with-blas-lapack-lib=libsunperf.a
--with-blas-lib=libblas.a --with-lapack-lib=liblapack.a
--with-blas-lapack-dir=/soft/com/packages/intel/13/079/mkl

So a hyphen was inserted with the lib and dir options.

However, we found that at least in the mkl_pardiso.py script it still looks for a hyphen, but in other scripts we checked it doesn’t (although we did not do an exhaustive search).

We know that you are not connected to Intel, but maybe someone from Intel reads these messages, as their web pages that explain how to install Petsc are wrong and conform to the pre-3.8 options:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/enabling-intel-mkl-in-petsc-applications <https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/enabling-intel-mkl-in-petsc-applications>

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/mkl-blas-lapack-with-petsc <https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/mkl-blas-lapack-with-petsc>

Thanks, Randy Mackie