[petsc-users] Correlation between da_refine and pg_mg_levels

Justin Chang jychang48 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 14:17:58 CDT 2017

Hi all,

Just a general conceptual question: say I am tinkering around with SNES
ex48.c and am running the program with these options:

mpirun -n $NPROCS -pc_type mg -M $XSEED -N $YSEED -P $ZSEED -thi_mat_type
baij -da_refine $DAREFINE -pc_mg_levels $MGLEVELS

I am not too familiar with mg, but it seems to me there is a very strong
correlation between $MGLEVELS and $DAREFINE as well as perhaps even the
initial coarse grid size (provided by $X/YZSEED).

Is there a rule of thumb on how these parameters should be? I am guessing
it probably is also hardware/architectural dependent?

Thanks,
Justin