[petsc-users] Jacobian matrix for dual porosity model

Adrian Croucher a.croucher at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jun 22 00:59:00 CDT 2017

On 21/06/17 23:12, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> From the above description, its not clear to me that you want this
> topology. For example, in the case that each cell gets an internal cell,
> it seems like you could just handle this in the function space for
> each cell. Even for multiple internal cells, it seems like function space
> parameterization is a better option. Topology is supposed to indicate
> the support of basis functions, but here that job is done. I would
> just treat it as some sort of augmented approximation space.

If I understand what you mean, I considered doing something like that-
basically just defining extra degrees of freedom in the cells where dual
porosity is to be applied.

It seemed to me that if I then went ahead and created the Jacobian
matrix using DMCreateMatrix(), it would give me extra nonzero entries
that shouldn't be there - interactions between the dual porosity
variables in neighbouring cells. Is there any way to avoid that?

- Adrian

--
Dr Adrian Croucher
Senior Research Fellow