[petsc-users] MatSetNullSpace

Bikash Kanungo bikash at umich.edu
Thu Jun 1 16:58:03 CDT 2017

Thank you Matthew for the quick response.

I should provide some more details.

1) This implies that A is symmetric

Yes A is symmetric

2) I think you mean the b is orthogonal to Q

No. I've an extra condition on the solution x - that it has to be
orthogonal to Q. Without this condition the problem will have multiple
solutions. It's same as finding the minimum norm solution

> Its not MatSetNullSpace() that fixes this issue, it is the linear solver
> itself. Many Krylov solvers can converge to the

minimum norm solution of this rank deficient problem.

I was unable to get convergence without using MatSetNullSpace(). So it
seems that the Krlov solvers are inadequate just by themselves.

Second, we remove components in the nullspace from each iterate, which is
> not what you are doing above.

This might be the reason why without MatSetNullSpace() I'm unable to attain
convergence.

> It seems easier to just give your Q as the nullspace.

Yeah using Q as nullspace is the easiest option. But my basis is
non-orthogonal and has an overlap matrix S. So in order to provide
orthonormal nullvectors as Q to Petsc, I need to evaluate S^{-1/2}. As of
now, for small problems I can evalaute S^{-1/2}, however, it's a show
stopper for large ones. I can possibly use MatNullSpaceSetFunction() to
circumvent the requirement of orthonormal nullvectors in MatSetNullSpace().
I would appreciate your input on this.

Lastly, I would like to know what operations do MatSetNullSpace enforce
within a KSP solve.

Thanks,
Bikash