[petsc-users] Compiling with Intel MPI options

Steven Wong steven_wildman_wong at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 20 17:37:18 CDT 2017

If I use on a Centos 7.2 system
./configure --with-cc=mpiicc --with-cxx=mpiicpc --with-fc=mpiifort
--with-blas-lapack-dir=/opt/intel/mkl/lib/intel64

I get
             Configuring PETSc to compile on your
system
TESTING: checkCCompiler from
config.setCompilers(config/BuildSystem/config/setCompilers.py:553)
         UNABLE to CONFIGURE with GIVEN OPTIONS    (see configure.log
for details):
C compiler you provided with -with-cc=mpiicc does not work.
C compiler mpiicc is broken! It is returning a zero error when the
linking failed! Either
 1) switch to another compiler suite or
vendor and ask for fix for this issue.
(configure.log attached)

However, if I use
./configure --with-cc=icc --with-cxx=icpc --with-fc=ifort
--with-blas-lapack-dir=/opt/intel/mkl/lib/intel64 --with-mpi=0
All is fine (see configure.log.nompi)

We don't have issues using mpiifort or mpiicc if I compile my own code.
What are we missing?  Thanks in advance.