[petsc-users] Understanding preallocation for MPI

Sun Jul 16 21:26:29 CDT 2017

Hello,

Am 11.07.2017 um 02:45 schrieb Barry Smith:

>   You might consider using http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/Mat/MatPreallocateInitialize.html and http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/Mat/MatPreallocateSetLocal.html#MatPreallocateSetLocal and friends
>
>    These take out some of the busywork of setting the preallocation arrays. They are macros in petscmat.h so even if you don't use them you can see the code they use.

Thanks for your input, I took a look at it and learned from it.

I have this preallocation routine which works perfectly for a index set on the columns and non (resp. an identity index
set) on the columns:

void doPreallocation(Mat &A, ISLocalToGlobalMapping &ISmapping, double nz_ratio, int nz_number)
{
  PetscInt d_nnz[local_rows], o_nnz[local_rows];

  const PetscInt *mapIndizes;
  ISLocalToGlobalMappingGetIndices(ISmapping, &mapIndizes);

  for (int row = row_range_start; row < row_range_end; row++) {
    // PetscInt relative_row = mapIndizes[row- row_range_start];
    PetscInt relative_row = row - row_range_start;
    d_nnz[relative_row] = 0;
    o_nnz[relative_row] = 0;
    int colStart, colEnd;
    std::tie(colStart, colEnd) = colBorders(row);
    for (int col = 0; col < global_cols; col++) {
      if (col >= colStart and col < colEnd) {
        int petsc_col = mapIndizes[col];
        if (petsc_col >= col_range_start and petsc_col < col_range_end) {
          d_nnz[relative_row]++;
        } else {
          o_nnz[relative_row]++;
        }
      }
    }
  }
  ierr = ISLocalToGlobalMappingRestoreIndices(ISmapping, &mapIndizes); CHKERRV(ierr);
  ierr = MatMPIAIJSetPreallocation(A, 0, d_nnz, 0, o_nnz); CHKERRV(ierr); // works only on minimum 2 ranks
}

colStart and colEnd give a defined number of diagonals for the matrix, just for testing. *_range_* are from the PETSc
routines.

But I'm puzzled how to do it when I have also a (the same) index set for the rows.

Let's say I have 2 procs, a global size of 10 and a mapping [0, 8, 9, 1, 3] on proc 0 and [2, 5, 4, 7, 6] on proc 1.

row_range is [0, 5] on the first proc.

On the first row-iteration I generate data for row 0 (application ordering AO) which is mapped to row 0 (petsc ordering
PO), I add these nnz to o_/d_nnz[0]

On the second row-iteration I generate data for row 1 (AO) which is mapped to row 8 (PO). As with the columns I expect
the nnz numbering to be in PO, which means either

1) nnz[8] (which is not existing), what I would be do in the commented out line.
2) nnz[4] on the second proc (which is unreachable from the first proc)
3) nnz[1] on the first proc, thus in AO, which produces new mallocs.

2. still seems to most probable for me, but before implementing sending the stuff around using MPI, I wanted to ask you
if it is correct that way? If it needs to be done that way, is there some PETSc magic which helps exchanging that array?

If the answer lies within MatPreallocate* routines, I failed to see :-/

Best Thanks,
Florian