[petsc-users] Why my petsc program get stuck and hang there when assembling the matrix?

Sanjay Govindjee s_g at berkeley.edu
Sun Feb 26 22:37:31 CST 2017

Fair enough.

I have only done the estimates/testing for linear and quadratic
elements, the work horses of large-scale industrial solid-mechanics
computations.

On 2/26/17 8:30 PM, Jed Brown wrote:
> Sanjay Govindjee <s_g at berkeley.edu> writes:
>
>> I'm not sure it is best to say that "the standard way to handle this" is
>> to partition the elements.  Minimization of communication calls for
>> partitioning the nodes (at the expense of performing extra element
>> computations).
> For high order elements, that entails far more communication (volume).
>
> I think it's fair to say that element partition is by far the most
> common way to implement, though there is certainly a case for working
> only with a nodal partition (depending on the intended solver) when
> using relatively low order elements.

Sanjay Govindjee, PhD, PE
Horace, Dorothy, and Katherine Johnson Professor in Engineering

779 Davis Hall
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-1710

Voice:  +1 510 642 6060
FAX:    +1 510 643 5264
s_g at berkeley.edu
http://www.ce.berkeley.edu/~sanjay

Books:

Engineering Mechanics of Deformable
Solids: A Presentation with Exercises
http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Physics/MaterialsScience/?view=usa&ci=9780199651641
http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199651641.do
http://amzn.com/0199651647

Engineering Mechanics 3 (Dynamics) 2nd Edition
http://www.springer.com/978-3-642-53711-0
http://amzn.com/3642537111

Engineering Mechanics 3, Supplementary Problems: Dynamics
http://www.amzn.com/B00SOXN8JU