[petsc-users] Krylov-Schur Tolerance

Jose E. Roman jroman at dsic.upv.es
Fri Feb 17 03:42:43 CST 2017

For computing eigenvalues with smallest real part of generalized problems Ax=lambda Bx, it may be better to use a target value (instead of -eps_smallest_real). For instance, if you know that all eigenvalues are positive, use -eps_target 0 -eps_target_magnitude

What linear solvers are you using? In the default setting, the coefficient matrix for linear solves will be B, but with target=sigma the coefficient matrix will be A-sigma*B; this may make a difference. Also, in any case, if experiencing convergence problems I would suggest using MUMPS (see section 3.4.1 of SLEPc's users manual).

Jose