[petsc-users] Newbie question : iterative solver - algorithm and performance

lixin chu lixin_chu at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 15 07:03:59 CST 2017

I think the chapter 4 of the user manual more or less answers my first question already ... rgds
lixin

    On Wednesday, 15 February 2017, 14:40, lixin chu <lixin_chu at yahoo.com> wrote:

 Hello,New to PETSc, appreciate any help -
I have done some experiment with MUMPS (the direct solver for sparse matrix), and very interested to try out PETSc now. I have a large sparse symmetric matrix (3 millions x 3 millions, complex data type).
Some questions I have:
- I am assuming that I should select one algorithm of "Krylov methods", which algorithm is a good option, GMRES, CG, or others ? (I am not a domain expert, but helping developing a program to test the matrix). - do all the algorithms support distributed architecture (multiple machines, multiple cores)- are there any performance test data ? (total run time for example)
 thank you very much,
LX