[petsc-users] VecScatter betweeen Vectors with different parallel layouts

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Mon Feb 13 09:22:52 CST 2017

"Barletta, Ivano" <ibarletta at inogs.it> writes:

> Hello PETSc users
>
> I was wondering if you've got any suggestion for the issue
> mentioned in the topic.
>
> I'm solving a linear system on my unstructured grid that has its
> own partitioning. When I set up the linear system in PETSc I
> use the model partitioning whose grid points might not be
> evenly balanced (generally is not) over the processors.
>
> So far I use VecScatter and IS to re-order the solution vector
> with the application numbering.

Mapping between two orderings with different distributions is usually
not a good strategy.  Much better to balance the partitioning for your
unstructured grid.

> What I aim at, now, is to let PETSc to decide the linear system
> partitioning with PETSC_DECIDE local dimension and
> see if I get some gain in performances, but in
> this case I have to scatter between vectors that, at any rate, have
> different parallel layouts (one of the requirements of
> VecScatter is to have 2 Vecs with same layouts)

PETSC_DECIDE just creates equal vertex partitions, but it has no
information with which to make the partitions have locality.  Unless you
have a particular ordering, like a space-filling curve, this kind of
simplistic partitioning by vertex index will tend to produce parts that
have very poor locality (i.e., very high edge cut).