[petsc-users] missing types in petscsysdef.h

Lukas van de Wiel lukas.drinkt.thee at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 05:12:08 CST 2017

Dear fellow PETSc users,

I have been using PETSc for several years now, but I notice that after
every upgrade I have to make changes to include/finclude/petscsysdef.h
to get my Fortran code to work with it (or, in 3.7.5
include/petsc/finclude/petscsysdef.h)

I have been running 3.4.2 for a few years, and PetscReal and
PetscScalar were never defined, apparently because no
PETSC_USE_REAL_[TYPE] was never defined.

In 3.7.5 I have the same problem, and it also affects
PetscFortranComplex which also depends on PETSC_USE_REAL_[TYPE].

However, my configure.log nicely shows:

#ifndef PETSC_USE_REAL_DOUBLE
#define PETSC_USE_REAL_DOUBLE 1
#endif

It seems that changing petscsysdef.h is not the proper solution. Is
there a more elegant way for me to fix this?

Thanks for your expertise,
Lukas