[petsc-users] Linear system solvers for unsymmetrical matrix

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 25 06:56:31 CST 2017

  Most of the linear solvers in PETSc are suitable for non symmetric problems. You should not use KSPCG, KSPCR or PCCHOLESKY since they are only for symmetric problems.

   Finding the best solver for your problem depends on your problem and how large a problem you want to solve. Please tell use as much as possible

1) where the comes from, for example CFD, structural mechanics, etc

2) if it comes from an elliptic, parabolic, or hyperbolic PDE

and

3) how large a problem you need to solve, 100,000 unknowns, 10 million, a billion?

   Barry