[petsc-users] A number of questions about DMDA with SNES and Quasi-Newton methods

zakaryah . zakaryah at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 20:21:49 CDT 2017

OK - I'll just mention that I'm getting really bizarre behavior with the
debugger.  I compiled with -g -O0 (and same for PETSc library, using
COPTFLAGS, CXXOPTFLAGS, and FOPTFLAGS).  The strange behavior includes:

I set a breakpoint in the Jacobian evaluation function, and when stepping
with gdb, the executed line doesn't match the code at all.  Instead, it
jumps forwards and backwards.

Variables which are assigned a value at the beginning of the routine are
later set to zero.  Variables defined outside of the routine (for example,
variables pointed to by my external parameters ctx) remain correctly valued.

When I run the code with -snes_test_display, many of the elements of the
Jacobian show as zero in the hand-coded routine, while the finite
difference shows correct values.  When I step through the Jacobian
evaluation function with the debugger, the corresponding values are
calculated correctly, i.e. they match the values from the finite difference.

To me this looks like a memory leak in the Jacobian evaluation routine,
although valgrind doesn't catch anything and neither does gdb.  I'll take
your advice and upload the code to the maint list - thanks for all your
help!