[petsc-users] accessing fields from previous, converged solution.

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 05:31:38 CDT 2017

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 5:15 AM, Maximilian Hartig <imilian.hartig at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Sorry to bother you again, but I have checked and rechecked my formulation
> and it corresponds to what I have found in literature. The only difference
> is that my flow criteria is not evaluated using the trial stress and the
> current yield stress but rather the corrected stress and the updated yield
> stress. I am convinced this is what causes the problem.
> Unfortunately I do not have any idea on how to go about implementing this.
> First I don’t know how to access the solution from the past iteration

I think you can do what you want using

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-master/docs/manualpages/TS/TSSetPostStep.html

In your function, you would TSGetSolution() and then copy it into an
auxiliary vector you
set. This avoids the problem of composition you had before.

> and secondly I don’t know how to do the elastic predictor step.

You can always create another SNES and do a subsolve, maybe in

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-master/docs/manualpages/TS/TSSetPreStep.html#TSSetPreStep

which you then copy into an auxiliary vector, just as above.

Tell me if I am missing something.

> I tried doing it with auxiliary fields that get updated every timestep but
> I gather that is not a good idea. Could you please point me in some
> direction?
>
> I appreciate you patience with my questioning.
>
> Thanks,
> Max
>
> On 22. Aug 2017, at 13:52, Maximilian Hartig <imilian.hartig at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> On 17. Aug 2017, at 13:51, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 3:13 AM, Maximilian Hartig <imilian.hartig at gmail.
> com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your help Matt.
>>
>> On 16. Aug 2017, at 16:17, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 8:56 AM, Maximilian Hartig <
>> imilian.hartig at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a problem with several fields that I solve with PetscFE and TS. I
>>> now need to access the solution from the previous timestep to compute the
>>> residual for the current timestep.
>>> I tried a TSMonitor with the following code in it:
>>>
>>> TSGetDM(ts,&dm);
>>> DMClone(dm,&dm_aux);
>>> DMGetDS(dm,&prob_aux);
>>> DMSetDS(dm_aux,prob_aux);
>>> DMCreateGlobalVector(dm_aux,&old_solution);
>>> VecCopy(u,oldsolution);

http://www.caam.rice.edu/~mk51/