[petsc-users] Which type of matrix do I use to define my own interpolation operators in PCMG?

Ben Yee bcyee at umich.edu
Tue Aug 22 16:04:49 CDT 2017

Thank you for the reply.

If I understand the example correctly, you are suggesting that I define my
interpolation matrix implicitly by defining the MATOP_MULT and
MATOP_MULT_TRANSPOSE_ADD
operations. In my case, I want the coarse grid operators defined via the
Galerkin process, so would I also have to define the MATOP_PTAP operation?
Also, is there a more convenient PETSc matrix type that I can use? My
interpolation operators can easily be represented in matrix form, and it
seems a bit unusual to have to define the matrix operations
MATOP_MULT, MATOP_MULT_TRANSPOSE_ADD,
and MATOP_PTAP myself. (Perhaps you are suggesting that defining these
operations without explicitly constructing the matrix is more
computationally efficient?)