[petsc-users] beginner's, technical programming manual?

Tonio Herrmann tonioherrmann at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 12:52:02 CDT 2016

Hello,
I am new to PETSc, and I am struggling to use it for some numerics
problems. The mathematical capabilities are well explained in the manual,
in several tutorials and examples.

But I am stuck at every tiny step, because I cannot find the required
functions for all the very basic technical details, like getting the vertex
coordinates of a DMPlex, the face areas and cell volumes (if available
through PETSc?). Merging two DMPlexes, that share a common boundary, into
one. Extracting a boundary of one DMPlex as a new DMPlex. Etc.

Is there any technical introduction that shows how to deal with the data
structures on a basic, geometrical and topological level without
necessarily discussing the numerics of PDEs and equation systems?

Thank you
Hermann