[petsc-users] Moving from KSPSetNullSpace to MatSetNullSpace

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 25 16:51:28 CDT 2016

  Olivier,

    In theory you do not need to change anything else. Are you using a different matrix object for the velocity_ksp object than the poisson_ksp object?

    The code change in PETSc is very little but we have a report from another CFD user who also had problems with the change so there may be some subtle bug that we can't figure out causing things to not behave properly.

   First run the 3.7.4 code with -poisson_ksp_view and verify that when it prints the matrix information it prints something like has attached null space if it does not print that it means that somehow the matrix is not properly getting the matrix attached.

    Though older versions had MatSetNullSpace() they didn't necessarily associate it with the KSP so it was not expected to work as a replacement for KSPSetNullSpace() with older versions.

    Because our other user had great difficulty trying to debug the issue feel free to send us at petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov your code with instructions on building and running and we can try to track down the problem. Better than hours and hours spent with fruitless email. We will, of course, not distribute the code and will delete in when we are finished with it.

   Barry