[petsc-users] BVNormColumn

Bikash Kanungo bikash at umich.edu
Tue Oct 18 17:26:55 CDT 2016

Hi Jose,

Thanks for the pointers. Here's what I observed on probing it further:

   1. The ||B - B^H|| norm was 1e-18. So I explicitly made it Hermitian by
   setting B = 0.5(B+B^H). However, this didn't help.
   2. Next, I checked for the conditioning of B by computing the ratio of
   the highest and lowest eigenvalues. The conditioning of the order 1e-9.
   3. I monitored the imaginary the imaginary part of VecDot(y,x, dotXY)
   where y = B*x and noted that only when the imaginary part is more than
   1e-16 in magnitude, the error of "The inner product is not well defined" is
   flagged. For the first few iterations of orhtogonalization (i.e., the one
   where orthogonization is successful), the values of VecDot(y,x, dotXY) are
   all found to be lower than 1e-16. I guess this small imaginary part might
   be the cause of the error.

Let me know if there is a way to bypass the abort by changing the tolerance
for imaginary part.

Regards,
Bikash

--