[petsc-users] partition of DM Vec entries

Dave May dave.mayhem23 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 00:17:29 CDT 2016

On Saturday, 15 October 2016, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>   Unless the particles are more or less equally distributed over the the
> entire domain any kind of "domain decomposition" approach is questionably
> for managing the particles. Otherwise certain processes that have domains
> that contain most of the particles will have a great deal of work, for all
> of its particles, while domains with few particles will have little work. I
> can see two approaches to alleviate this problem.
>
> 1) constantly adjust the sizes/locations of the domains to load balance
> the particles per domain or
>
> 2)  parallelize the particles (some how) instead of just the geometry.
>
> Anyways, there is a preliminary DMSWARM class in the development version
> of PETSc for helping to work with particles provided by Dave May. You might
> look at it. I don't know if it would useful for you or not. IMHO software
> library support for particle methods is still very primitive compared to
> finite difference/element support, in other words we still have a lot to do.

If you are using an SPH formulation with a constant smoothing length (such
as for incompressible media), then DMSWARM will be extremely useful. It
manages the assignment of fields on point clouds and managed data exchanges
required for particle advection and gather operations from neighbor
cells required for evaluating the SPH basis functions.

DMSWARM is in the master branch. We would be happy if you want to be beta
tester. The API is in its infancy and thus having a user play with what's
there would be the best way to refine the design as required.

Take a look at the examples and let us know if you need help.

Thanks,
  Dave