[petsc-users] Autoconf tests

CLAUS HELLMUTH WARNER HETZER claus at olemiss.edu
Tue Oct 11 15:12:31 CDT 2016

Hi everybody-

Figured I’d ask this here before I go reinventing the wheel.

I’m writing an autoconf installer (the standard Linux configure/make package) for an acoustic wave propagation modeling package that builds PETSc and SLEPc as part of the installation process.  I’d like to be able to test for instances of PETSc already being installed on the user’s machine and, if possible, whether they’re the debug version.  I know I can check for the existence of the PETSC_DIR environmental variable, and parse the PETSC_ARCH variable for “debug”, and I’ll do that as a first pass, but has anybody written any M4 tests that are more reliable than those (i.e. actually attempting to link to the libraries)?  I had one user who had the libraries installed in /usr/local/bin but didn’t have the environmental variables set in their profile, so the linker was confused and it took a while to figure out what was going weird with the install.

If not, I guess I’ll be putting on my Autoconf gloves and getting my hands dirty.

Thanks
-Claus Hetzer

Claus Hetzer
Senior Research and Development Engineer
National Center for Physical Acoustics
The University of Mississippi
145 Hill Drive
PO Box 1848